The American Webmasters Association is committed to holding professional ethical norms and values to the highest standard for its members. Norms are models of conduct instituted by society or professional organization to which it expects its members to uphold. Values depict a community’s idea of what they find desirable, significant and morally appropriate. Values also provide us with a guideline to judge and evaluate our actions and the actions of others.
As web professionals, we understand that we are not only responsible for our contributions to our organization, but we also recognize our role as leaders of society in creating, facilitating and implementing operations within the greater economy. It is our duty to maintain the highest professional ethical norms and the moral values governed by our accountability to multiple stakeholders.
As an acknowledgment of our responsibility as web professionals to the individuals and businesses of our global community and believing it is our role in advocating and fostering high ethical standards in our profession, we do hereby adopt the following Code of Ethics affirming the fundamental principles of truth, justice and fair play.
- 1. To show faith in the worthiness of our profession by industry, honesty, and courtesy, to warrant a reputation for high-quality service and fair dealing.
- 2. To demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and diligence in the performance of his or her duties, including adherence to generally accepted Internet etiquette
- 3. To add to the knowledge of our profession by constant study and to share the lessons of our experience with our fellow members.
- 4. To build an ever increasing confidence and good will of the public and our employers by poise, self-restraint, and constructive cooperation.
- 5. To conduct ourselves in the most ethical and competent manner when soliciting professional services or seeking employment, thus meriting confidence in our knowledge and integrity.
- 6. To accept our full share of responsibility in constructive public service to community, state, our nation and the global community.
- 7. To protect the intellectual property of others by relying on our innovation and efforts, thus ensuring that all benefits vest with its originator.
- 8. To not reveal any confidential information obtained during a professional engagement or business activity, without obtaining proper authorization.
- 9. Continually strive to increase the competence and effectiveness of professional services performed under his or her direction.